The American Center
The American Center (also known as the Information Resource Center or IRC) of the American Embassy in Asmara, located at the Eritro-German building, provides current, comprehensive information about the United States, its policies, its social and political processes and related subjects. The resources of the American Center can meet the needs of government officials, journalists, researchers, scholars and professionals interested in information about the United States.
The American Center offers:
Internet: Free Internet access for the public.
Article and Document Alerts: The American Center can send you summaries of current journal articles and research reports on U.S. policy and topics in democracy, government, economy, law, legislation, health, environment, technology, and communication. The staff uses a number of databases to provide the full text of items selected from the lists. Article and Document Alerts can be sent by e-mail, fax, postal service, or hand delivery. To subscribe to this service, contact the American Center's staff.
- Electronic Journals & Publications: produced by the Department of State focus on specific policy issues related to one of the following subject areas: Economic Perspectives, U.S. Foreign Policy Agenda, Issues of Democracy, Global Issues, and U.S. Society and Values. Each of them contains a main core or focus section that addresses a key policy issue or theme in an authoritative and comprehensive manner. The focus sections, depending upon subject, may consist of in-depth interviews, by-lined articles from officials or experts, commissioned or reprint articles, staff-written articles, reports, documents, commentary and analyses.
Information Alerts: are announcements of books, CD-ROMs and other newly acquired resources at the Center. Our staff will reserve or send any of the materials to you upon request.
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI): the Center is now focusing on a few key subject areas and through this service we will keep you informed of the latest information we receive in your areas of interest.
- IIP Digital Articles is an authoritative resource for foreign audiences seeking information about official U.S. policies, American society, culture, and political process.
- Daily Press Briefing has official U.S. Government texts, policy statements and interpretive material, features, and byline articles prepared daily by the U.S. Department of State, International Information Programs.
- Weekly Newsletter: America.gov packages the week's most important foreign affairs in the weekly newsletter, "This Week From Washington." American Center staff will reserve or send any of the materials to you upon request.
- Publications: The American Center will provide you with most of the publications listed here upon request.
Reference Books and Periodicals
We maintain a modest collection of reference materials. Our collection of periodicals includes Time, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Current History, Fortune, Foreign Affairs, Journal of Comparative Law, Harper's, Atlantic Monthly, Reader's Digest, Smithsonian, Journal of Democracy, National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, PC World, and others.